We welcome your interest in transitioning your existing RPT or SB-RPT credential to the RPT-S credential.
To transition to the RPT-S credential, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Hold a current and active RPT credential OR had the RPT credential conferred, but is currently inactive.
2. Must be 3 years post-full clinical, independent licensure. Please submit a copy of your license or the license verification page from your Board’s website that indicates the date of your initial or original issuance date as well as your expiration or renewal date.
3. Must have completed 3,000 hours of direct clinical experience after obtaining your clinical, independent license. Please submit Form A, Section 1b.
4. Must complete an additional 500 hours of direct play therapy experience. Please complete Form A, Section 3.
5. You must be approved by your state mental health board to supervise (whether or not you choose to supervise towards licensure or just towards APT credentialing).
6. Must complete 24 hours of clinical supervisor training (academic instruction on how to supervise). If your state requires supervision training in order to obtain approval to supervise, APT will accept these hours in lieu of the 24 clinical supervisor training hours required. However, if your state board does not require any supervisor training hours, then you must meet APT's supervisor training requirement of 24 hours. Please submit copies of your Licensing Board regulations for supervisors which indicate that you are permitted to supervise (accompanied by the certificates of supervisor training completed if required by Board to complete).
7. Must complete 6 hours of play therapy specific supervisor training (by APT Approved Providers or through a graduate course visible on transcript).
8. Submit an RPT-S application. Complete only the following:
- page 3 - Sections 0100 - 0300,
- page 6,
- page 7, and
- page 8 - Sections 1b and 3
Once your RPT-S application with supporting documentation and payment have been received, please allow 8-10 weeks for application review. Please note: the current wait time may be longer due to a large number of applications pending review. We appreciate your patience!
Notification via email will be sent regarding the status and/or approval by APT. Should you have questions regarding transitioning your credential, do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you in advance for your patience during the review process.
Claudia Vega, Ph.D., Clinical Coordinator